Defeasible Reasoning Interest Group
Several members of the Department of Computer Science and the Department of
Information Science meet informally once a week to discuss aspects of their
research that relate to defeasible reasoning and belief change. If interested,
contact Willem Labuschagne.
The discussions so far have dealt with ideas contained in the following references.
Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems (Willem Labuschagne):
- Enderton, HB (2001): A Mathematical Introduction to Logic
- Hamilton, AG (1988): Logic for Mathematicians
- Hofstadter DR (1979): Gödel, Escher, Bach
- Rogers, R (1971): Mathematical Logic and Formalized Theories
- Smullyan, RM (1987): Forever Undecided: A Puzzle Guide to Gödel
- Smullyan, RM (1992): Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems
Representation Theory (Willem Labuschagne and Anthony
- P Gärdenfors, Conceptual Spaces, MIT Press 2000.
- S Harnad (editor), Categorical Perception, Cambridge University Press 1987.
- SE Palmer, Hierarchical structure in perceptual representation, Cognitive Psychology, 9:441-474 1977.
Bounded Rationality (Willem Labuschagne):
- N Ambady and R Rosenthal, Thin slices of expressive behavior as
predictors of interpersonal consequences --- A meta-analysis,
Psychological Bulletin, 111:256-274 1992.
- N Ambady and R Rosenthal, Half a minute --- Predicting teacher
evaluations from thin slices of nonverbal behavior and physical
attractiveness, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 64:431-441 1993.
- A Bechara, H Damasio, D Tranel and AR Damasio, Deciding advantageously
before knowing the advantageous strategy, Science, 275:1293-1297 1997.
- G Gigerenzer and R Selten (editors), Bounded Rationality ---
The Adaptive Toolbox, MIT Press 2001.
- Y Kareev, Through a narrow window --- Working memory capacity and the
detection of covariation, Cognition, 56:263-269 1995.
- Y Kareev, I Lieberman and M Lev, Through a narrow window --- Sample size
and the detection of correlation, Journal of Experimental
Psychology: General, 126:278-287 1997.
For a list of discussions in previous years: