Welcome to the homepage for the thematic programme on Algorithms sponsored by the The New Zealand Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (NZIMA). This programme has a concentrated period of activity from January-June 2008.
The programme centres around the design and analysis of algorithms, and their application to contemporary problems in such areas as discrete mathematics, computational biology, social sciences, and communication networks. Particular emphasis will be placed on the following areas and the interaction between them: randomized algorithms; probabilistic analysis of algorithms; approximation algorithms; fixed-parameter tractability.
- to develop a coherent research community in algorithms in NZ by facilitating interactions between local researchers;
- to create linkages between local and overseas researchers in algorithms;
- to deepen and broaden the knowledge of postgraduate students in the area;
- to raise the public profile of the area through public lectures and other promotional activities, particularly centred around high schools.
ContactsFor any enquiries please contact:
- Programme Director Prof Mike Atkinson (University of Otago)
- Programme Director Dr Charles Semple (University of Canterbury)
- Associate Director Dr Mark Wilson (University of Auckland)
The Programme Committee also comprises: