This paper is on Blackboard.
COSC402 explores both practical and theoretical concerns of modern approaches to computer networks. The course falls into the following three parts:
- Part I introduces the techniques for developing network programs using Socket APIs. There are five lectures and four labs in this part. In the labs you will practice how to develop network programs using Socket APIs. There is also one programming assignment in this part, and you will practice implementing a multi-user chat system. A background of intermediate-level C programming is quite beneficial to this part.
- Part II introduces wireless sensor networks. There are two lectures, two labs, and one programming assignment in this part. You will learn how to develop network programs for embedded devices, and practice coding and debugging in both network simulators and real sensor network platforms.
- Part III introduces other recent advances in computer networks. This part has five lectures that cover 4G&5G networks, datacenter networks, Li-Fi networks, optical networking and network-on-chips, delay-tolerant networks, and software-defined networks. There is one research project in this part.
Recommended Textbook for Part I
UNIX Network Programming, Vol 1, 3rd Ed.
W. Richard Stevens, et al.
Publisher: Addison-Wesley Professional
- Lectures: Thursday 11am, Owheo G34
- Labs: Thursday 2:00pm - 3:50pm, Lab B [NO labs in the first two weeks]
Lecturer: Dr Haibo Zhang (Coordinator)
- E-mail haibo(at)cs.otago.ac.nz
- Office Room 247, Owheo
- Phone x8534 (479 8534)
Lecturer: Dr Yawen Chen
- E-mail yawen(at)cs.otago.ac.nz
- Office Room 246, Owheo
- Phone x5740 (479 5740)
COSC402 will use Blackboard for course delivery. Lecture notes, lab notes, announcements, and other material relevant to the course will be posted there. Students should have access to the Blackboard pages from the start of Semester 2. We will also be using Blackboard to communicate about the course. This means that emails will be sent to the student.otago.ac.nz accounts. It is expected that you will check this email account regularly.