Generating Trees at Random
I had a period in the early 1990s when trees seemed to be cropping
up in everything I worked on. I enjoyed doing some not particularly
deep work on how to generate various types of tree under various
conditions. In doing so I learnt an area of combinatorics which
continues to serve me well.
Papers on random generation of trees
- Generating binary trees at random, Information Processing Letters 41 (1992), 21-23 (with J.-R. Sack).
- Uniform generation of rooted ordered trees with prescribed degrees, Computer J. 36 (1993), 553-554.
- Enumerating k-way trees, Information Processing Letters 48 (1993), 73-75 (with Louise Walker).
- Uniform generation of binary trees in parallel, J. Parallel and Distributed Comp. 23 (1994), 101-103 (with J.-R. Sack).
- Uniform generation of forests of restricted height, Information Processing Letters 50 (1994), 323-327 (with J.-R. Sack).