Refereed journal papers
- Two theorems on doubly transitive permutation groups, J. London Math. Soc. (2), 6 (1973), 269-274. pdf
- Alternating trilinear forms and groups of exponent 6, J. Austral. Math. Soc. 16 (1973), 111-128. pdf
- Doubly transitive but not doubly primitive permutation groups, J. London Math. Soc. (2), 7 (1974), 632-634. pdf
- Doubly transitive but not doubly primitive permutation groups II, J. London Math. Soc. (2), 10 (1975), 53-60. pdf
- Ordering finite groups by involvement, J. Austral. Math. Soc. 19 (1975), 431-436. pdf
- An algorithm for computing the blocks of a permutation group, Math. Comp. 29 (1975), 911-913.pdf
- Mathematics in the service of computer programming, Math. Spectrum 10 (1977), 6-11.
- On rank 3 groups having λ=0, Can. J. Math. 29 (1977), 845-847. pdf
- The complexity of group algebra computations, Theor. Comp. Sci. 5 (1977), 205-209. pdf
- On the normal structure of a one-point stabiliser in a doubly transitive permutation group, J. Austral. Math. Soc. 25 (1978), 145-166 (with C.E. Praeger).pdf
- Spaces of matrices of bounded rank, Quart. J. Math. 29 (1978), 221-223 (with N.M. Stephens). pdf
- On the maximal multiplicative complexity of a family of bilinear forms, Linear Alg. and Appl. 27 (1979), 1-8 (with N.M. Stephens). pdf
- Some permutation groups of degree p=6q+1, Archiv d. Math. 32 (1979), 530-532. pdf
- Spaces of matrices with several zero eigenvalues, Bull. London Math. Soc. 12 (1980), 89-95. pdf
- Permutation groups and set union algorithms, Computer J. 23, 2 (1980), 187. pdf
- Bounds on the ranks of some 3-tensors, Linear Alg. and Appl. 31 (1980) 19-31 (with S. Lloyd). pdf
- Regular fault-free rectangles, Math. Gazette 64 (1980), 99-104 (with W.F. Lunnon).
- Large spaces of matrices of bounded rank, Quart. J. Math. 31 (1980), 253-262 (with S. Lloyd). pdf
- Primitive spaces of matrices of bounded rank, J. Austral. Math. Soc. 30 (1981), 473-482 (with S. Lloyd). pdf
- The cyclic towers of Hanoi, Information Processing Letters 13 (1981), 118-119. pdf
- Spaces of linear transformations of equal rank, Linear and Multilinear Algebra 13 (1983), 231-239 (with R. Westwick). pdf
- Primitive spaces of matrices of bounded rank II, J. Austral. Math. Soc. 34 (1983), 306-315. pdf
- The ranks of m x n x (mn-2) tensors, SIAM J. Computing 12 (1983), 611-615 (with S. Lloyd). pdf
- A problem of Westwick on k-spaces, Linear and Multilinear Algebra 14 (1984), 263-273. pdf
- Zigzag permutations and comparisons of adjacent elements, Information Processing Letters 21 (1985), 187-189. pdf
- How to compute the series expansions of sec x and tan x, Amer. Math. Monthly 93 (1986), 387-389.
- On the computation of group characters, J. Symbolic Computation 2 (1986), 45-50 (with R.A. Hassan). pdf
- Integer sets with distinct sums and differences and carrier frequency assignments for non-linear repeaters, IEEE Transactions on Communications C-34 (1986), 614-617 (with N. Santoro and J. Urrutia).
- A new proof of a theorem of Solomon, Bull. London Math. Soc. 18 (1986), 351-354. pdf
- Maxmin heaps and generalised priority queues, Comm. of the ACM 29 (Oct, 1986), 996-1000 (with J.-R. Sack, N. Santoro and T. Strothotte) pdf.
- Computing the number of mergings with constraints, Information Processing Letters 24 (1987), 289-292 (with H.W. Chang).pdf
- An optimal algorithm for geometrical congruence, J. Algorithms 8 (1987), 159-172. pdf
- On the width of an orientation of a tree, Order 5 (1988), 33-43 (with D.T.H. Ng). pdf
- A practical algorithm for boolean matrix multiplication, Information Processing Letters 29 (1988) 37-38 (with N. Santoro).pdf
- Sorting with powerful primitive operations, J. Comb. Math. and Comb. Comp. 4 (1989), 29-36 (with D. Nussbaum).
- Sums of lexicographically ordered subsets, Discrete Math. 80 (1990), 115-122 (with N. Santoro and A. Negro).pdf
- On computing the number of linear extensions of a tree, Order 7 (1990), 23-25. pdf
- Extensions to the Kronecker-Weierstrass theory of pencils, Linear and Multilinear Algebra 29 (1991), 235-241. pdf
- The recursive structure of some ordering problems, BIT 31 (1991), 194-201. pdf
- Generating binary trees at random, Information Processing Letters 41 (1992), 21-23 (with J.-R. Sack). pdf
- Industry-academic links and local development: the case of Ottawa, Industry and Higher Education 6 (1992), 151-160 (with R.H. Lawton Smith).
- Solomon's descent algebra revisited, Bull. London Math. Soc. 24 (1992), 545-551. pdf
- Uniform generation of rooted ordered trees with prescribed degrees, Computer J. 36 (1993), 553-554. pdf
- The permutational power of a priority queue, BIT 33 (1993), 2-6 (with Murali Thiyagarajah). pdf
- Transforming binary sequences with priority queues, Order 10 (1993), 31-36. pdf
- Enumerating k-way trees, Information Processing Letters 48 (1993), 73-75 (with Louise Walker). pdf
- Uniform generation of binary trees in parallel, J. Parallel and Distributed Comp. 23 (1994), 101-103 (with J.-R. Sack).
- The public and private interface in technology: the regulation of industry and academic links in Belgium, France and the UK, Industry and Higher Education 8 (1994), 160-173 (with R.H. Lawton Smith).
- Uniform generation of forests of restricted height, Information Processing Letters 50 (1994), 323-327 (with J.-R. Sack). pdf
- Priority queues and permutations, SIAM J. Computing 23 (1994), 1225-1230 (with Robert Beals). pdf
Priority queues and multi-sets, Electronic J. Combinatorics 2 (1995), Paper
R24 (18 pp.) (with Louise Walker and S.A. Linton).
- Permutations generated by token passing in graphs (with M.J. Livesey and D. Tulley). Theoretical Computer Science 178 (1997), 103-118. (pdf)
- Bounded capacity priority queues (with D. Tulley). Theoretical Computer Science 182 (1997), 145-157. (pdf)
- The p-modular descent algebra of the symmetric group (with S. van
Willigenburg). Bull. London Math. Soc. 29 (1997), 407-414. (Postscript,
- Generalised Stack Permutations, Combinatorics,
Probability and Computing 7 (1998), 239-246. (Postscript,
Permutations which are the union of an increasing and a decreasing sequence,
Electronic J. Combinatorics 5 (1998), Paper R6 (13 pp.).
- Restricted permutations, Discrete Math.
195 (1999), 27-38. (pdf). This paper has a pdf electronic supplement.
- Sorting with parallel pop-stacks, Information Processing Letters, 70 (1999), 63-67 (with J.-R. Sack). (
- Permutation involvement and groups, Quarterly J.
Maths. (Oxford) 52 (2001) 415-421 (with Bob Beals) . (Postscript,
- Permutations of a multiset avoiding permutations
of length $3$: European J. Comb. 22 (2001) 1021-1031 (with M. H. Albert,
R. E. L. Aldred, C. C. Handley, D. A. Holton). (Postscript,
- On packing densities of permutations, Electronic
J. Combinatorics 9 (2002), Paper R5 (20pp.) (with M.H. Albert, D.A.
Holton, C. C. Handley, W. Stromquist). (Postscript,
- Sorting with two ordered stacks in series, Theoretical
Computer Science 289 (2002), 205-223(with N. Ruskuc and M. Murphy).
- The p-modular descent algebras, Algebras and Representation
Theory 5 (2002), 101-113 (with S. van Willigenburg, G. Pfeiffer).
- Partially well-ordered closed sets of permutations,
Journal of Order 19 (2002), 101-113 (with N. Ruskuc, M. Murphy).
- Restricted permutations and the wreath product,
Discrete Math. 259 (2002), 19-36 (with T. Stitt). (Postscript,
- Longest subsequences in permutations, Australian J. Combinatorics
(with M. H. Albert, R. E. L. Aldred, H. P. van Ditmarsch, B. Handley,
C. C. Handley, J. Opatrny) 28 (2003), 225-238. (pdf)
- Regular closed classes of permutations (with M.H. Albert
and N. Ruskuc), Theoretical Computer Science 306 (2003), 85-100 (Postscript,
Sorting with a forklift (with M.H. Albert), Electronic J. Combinatorics 9 (2), (2003),
Paper R9 (23 pages).
The enumeration of simple permutations,
Journal of Integer Sequences 6 (2003), Article 03.4.4, 18 pages
(with M. H. Albert and M. Klazar).
- Restricted permutations and queue jumping, Discrete Math. 287 (2004) 129-133. (with M. H. Albert, R. E. L. Aldred, H. P. van Ditmarsch,
C. C. Handley, D.A. Holton) (pdf)
- Safe communication for card players by combinatorial designs for two-step protocols, Australian J. Combinatorics 33 (2005), 33-46.
(with M. H. Albert, R. E. L. Aldred, H. P. van Ditmarsch, C. C. Handley)
- Some equinumerous pattern-avoiding classes of permutations, Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science 7 (2005) 71-74. (pdf).
- Sorting Classes (with M. H. Albert, R. E. L. Aldred, H. P. van Ditmarsch, C. C. Handley, D. A. Holton, D. J. McCaughan), Electronic J. Combinatorics 12(1), Paper R31 (25 pages) (pdf).
- Simple permutations and pattern restricted permutations (with M. H. Albert), Discrete Math. 300 (2005), 1-15. (pdf).
- Permuting machines and priority queues, Theoretical Computer Science 349 (2005), 309-317 (with R. E. L. Aldred, H. P. van Ditmarsch, C. C. Handley, D. A. Holton, D. J. McCaughan) (pdf)
- Pattern avoidance classes and subpermutations (with N. Ruskuc, M. M. Murphy), Electronic J. Combinatorics 12 (2005), Paper R60 (18 pages).
Refereed Conference Papers
- Group theory on a micro-computer, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Computational Group Theory (Durham, August 1982), 275-280 (Academic Press, London 1984) (with R.A. Hassan and M.P. Thorne).
- Min-max heaps, order-statistics trees, and their application to
the Course-Marks problem, Nineteenth Conference on Information and System Sciences, (Baltimore, March 1985), 160-165 (with J.-R. Sack, N. Santoro, Th. Strothotte).
- Partial orders and comparison problems, Sixteenth Southeastern Conference on Combinatorics, Graph Theory and Computing, (Boca Raton, February 1985), Congressus Numerantium 47, 77-88.
- Extensions of partial orders of bounded width, (Winnipeg, October 1985), Congressus Numerantium 52, 21-35 (with H.W. Chang).
- Selecting subsets of the correct density, Seventeenth Southeastern Conference on Combinatorics, Graph Theory and Computing, (Boca Raton, February 1986), Congressus Numerantium 57, 15-22.
- Partially ordered sets and sorting, Proceedings of the Institute
of Mathematics and its Applications Conference on Computers in Mathematical Research (Cardiff, September 1986), Clarendon Press (Oxford 1988), 161-176.
- Perfect addition tables and applications to array storage, Nineteenth Southeastern Conference on Combinatorics, Graph Theory and Computing, (Baton Rouge, February 1988), Congressus Numerantium 65 (1988), 221-228.
- The complexity of order, Proceedings of the 1987 NATO Advanced Study Institute on Algorithms and Order (Ottawa, May 1987), Reidel 1989, 195-230.
- Computing Sylow subgroups of permutation groups, Twenty-first Southeastern Conference on Combinatorics, Graph Theory and Computing, (Boca Raton, February 1990), Congressus Numerantium 79 (1990), 55-60 (with P.M. Neumann).
- A new algorithm for testing the regularity of a permutation group,
Twenty-third Southeastern Conference on Combinatorics, Graph Theory and Computing, (Boca Raton, February 1992), Congressus Numerantium 90 (1992), 151-160 (with V. Acciaro).
- The combinatorics of some abstract data types, Proceedings of the
Institute of Mathematics and its Applications Conference on Combinatorics and its Applications (Oxford, December 1995), Clarendon Press (Oxford 1997), 1-13 (with D. Tulley) pdf.
- Permuting mechanisms and closed classes of permutations, Australian Computer Science Communications, Volume 21 Number 3, Combinatorics, Computation and Logic, Proceedings of DMTCS '99 and CATS '99, Auckland, 18-21 Januray 1999, Editors C S Calude, M J Dineen, pp 117-127, Springer-Verlag Singapore (1999) (with R. Beals)
- Algorithms for pattern involvement in permutations, in Algorithms and Computation, 12th International Symposium, ISAAC 2001, Proceedings LNCS 2223, P. Eades, T. Takaoka (Eds.) p.355-366 (with M. H. Albert, R. Aldred, D. A. Holton)
- Sorting with a fork lift, Scandinavian Workshop on Algorithm Theory, Turku, July 2002, Lecture Notes in Computer Science Vol 2368, 368 - 377 (Springer) (with M. H. Albert)
Edited conference proceedings
- Computational Group Theory, Proceedings of conference on computational group theory, Durham 1982, Academic Press 1984.
Computational and Geometric Aspects of Modern Algebra, Proceedings of the International ICMS Workshop (Heriot-Watt, 1998) Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 2000 (288 pages) (with N. D. Gilbert, J. Howie, S. A. Linton, E. F. Robertson).
Computing: The Australasian Theory Symposium (CATS) 2004,
Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science 91, 1-263.
- Computing: The Australasian Theory Symposium (CATS) 2005, Volume 41, Conferences in Research and Practice in Information Technology (with F. Dehne).
Edited journal volume
- The journal of combinatorics 9 (2) 2003 (with D. A. Holton).
Chapters in books
- The complexity of algorithms, in Computing Tomorrow; Editors R. Milner and
I. Wand, Cambridge, University Press Cambridge (1996), pp1-20. pdf